As anyone who owns a cat can attest, cats are quite finicky eaters, but are attracted to lilies for reasons unknown. This can often have tragic consequences as lilies are very toxic to cats. While the exact toxin has yet to be identified, it is so potent that merely ingesting some pollen or drinking the water that the lilies were stored in is enough to kill a cat within a few days.
Because of the potency of this poison and the frequency at which it occurs, no other plant causes vets more angst than the lily. To make matters worse, the general public and even cat owners are largely unaware of the dangers. One survey of cat owners whose cats were exposed to the toxin revealed that only 27% knew of the dangers beforehand.
As florists who sell lilies on a daily basis, we want to do our bit in raising awareness of this issue.