Dogs called as the man’s best friend, loyal friend, and lot more terms added to show their loyalty. However, cats are the cutest animal of all. Their intelligence, lovely behavior with the owners and cute crawl they do. Of course, our heart is taken away by their pretty activities.
While traveling in a car, sometimes humans feel sick. Not only humans the dogs to have the same feeling. Yes, the motion sickness makes our day worse with vomiting and other bad body condition. Just like dogs, cats also have the same hurdle. Cats also have the gastrointestinal distress.
The gastrointestinal distress and it is a usual thing seen in cats. Here we are going to see on how to treat the motion sickness in cats.
Motion Sickness in Cats
Most of the time, we travel by car more than any other mode of transportation. Thus, we are going to the see the car sickness in cats, the symptoms, and the remedies to make them feel comfortable. It will help you to spend your vacation with no worries about your cat’s illness due to the voyage. \
Symptoms Observed in Cats Cause of the Motion Sickness
Just like humans, cats also vomit when they fell sick while traveling. Yes, it is the same old story for the motion sickness.
- Cats lick their lips when they feel sick while traveling.
- There will be a heavy drooling in their mouth.
- The cats will produce some sounds technically called as vocalization.
- You can observe consternation in your cat.
- A continuous defecation occurs.
The motion sickness or the car sickness may accompany a sensitive inner gear, which legalizes stability and the balance of the cat. The unstable motion or the lack of balance causes them the vomiting sensation.
Since the cats have the vomiting sensation and a continuous saliva secretion, they often lick their lips. Obviously, when we travel to a strange place or an unfamiliar zone, we do feel bit insecure. Similarly, the kitties also feel the same. Yes, the cats feel anxiety and stress because they are leaving their home.
Some Tips that you can follow to reduce your Cat’s Car Sickness
Though the sickness won't follow throughout cat’s life span and cause major health problems to your cat, it will be hectic when we clean the dirt and all the mess of our cat. Let this mess be aside. However, the pet animals are also a part of our family and so here are some tips to reduce their motion sickness.
- We use our travel carrier to put our beloved cat to stay inside safe during the journey. Though we see for their safety, it, in turn, reflects as a health problem or disorder.
- So you can leave the door of the carrier open and leave some toys for the kitty to play. It can divert their mind to play than their attention towards vomiting or any uneasiness.
- Take the steps gradually. An immediate change in the environment to the car cause an upset in their mind and body. So, you can first take your cat into the car with the engine start.
- Then after some days of practice, you can do the same procedure. This time you have to turn the engine on but the car should be immobile. Then this practice can lead you to a free adventure with your dear cat without any interruption.
- Make the travel as if you are at home. The more the cats are comfortable, the more they uneasiness goes away. To keep our car or your voyage as if your home, you can bring some things from home to make your cats feel as if they are at home.
- Make your cat fast for four to six hours. When you travel with your cat, skip the meal so that the possibilities of vomiting is less.
- Consult a veterinarian before your journey. The veterinarian can give some cat vaccination like Cerenia. It is a drug especially given for dogs but not it effective with cats too for the motion/car sickness.
- Here come the newton’s first law. The law of inertia, the unwillingness of the object to move from its position. We look forward while moving and we will feel better than seated in the opposite direction. Similarly, the cats also feed the same thing. Thus, place the door of the carrier towards the steering of the car or any mode of transportation.
- Use some of the natural remedies. The homeopathic medicines have the natural extract to reduce your cat’s motion sickness. The consumption of 30c potency dosage, fifteen minutes before your travel and a regular intake of the dosage for every thirty to sixty minutes. This dosage obviously reduces the vomiting, anxiety, and nausea.
- Try an altered car. While talking about the cars, the shock-observer varies to every model in the car. A car with good shock-observer can reduce the shakes in the car and can have a peaceful ride.
- Along with the shock-observer, a car that has a free air flow interior will reduce all the vomiting sensation. Trying a different car can reduce the anxiety, stress, and vomit of your cat.
- Don’t travel for too long hours. Give a break often while traveling with your cat. Your pet should believe that this journey is for a short time and then we shall have a break to relax.
- It will reduce the stress with the cat. Along with it, the break that you give will help your cat to refresh itself with fresh air.
- Quiet down with some medication. For a long time, the veterinarians prescribe Acepromazine. It helps in relaxing the cat from the anxiety, vomiting, and nausea. The medication works within few minutes, and it is a safe prescription for your cat.
If you are taking the train you might find this article useful: